Last Updated on Sunday, October 03 2010 13:31 Written by Sue
- "Wetty pants"
- "Bean pole"
- Four-eyed freak
- Big-boned Bertha
- Miss Piggy
- Pimple face
- Not words of endearment but hurtful words
Make fun of Physical Imperfections (things you can't change)
- Body size or shape
- Eye color, hair color or texture
- The way you look
- Stuttering or lisp
- Too thin or too large
- Lazy eye
- Repeated stories of child's embarrassing moment
- Shamed in public
- Intentional embarrassment of something the child wants to keep private
- Put down when wanting to learn new things
- Ridicule free expression of child's delight
- Told not to try things new
- Negative comments on slow progress learning abstract ideas
- Comparing child negatively to other children
- Make fun of child asking questions
- Make fun of trying to learn to skip, ride a bike or use imagination
- Labeling stages of development as a permanent flaw
- Uses child's natural curiosity to do them harm
- Make fun of reading out loud, singing
- Make fun of child doing well in school
- Demean child's accomplishments at school
Witness Emotional Abuse of Family Members
- Parents call each other hurtful names
- Mother called bad names
- Family members yell vulgar words to each other
- Loved ones hurt each others feelings
- Siblings call parents bad names
- Parents talk back or rude to grandparent
- Cry Baby
- Won't ever amount to anything
- "No good"
- "You can't do anything right"
- "You will never amount to anything"
- ""Your step siblings are worth more than you."
- Told, "Don't touch me" when injured and looking for comfort.
- "Stay away from me."
- "You aren't my kid, get away."
- Pushed away when seeking comfort
- Parent or guardian unresponsive to child's distress
- Ignored, rejected or shoved aside to make room for the favored one
Poke (Hurtful) Fun
- Dumb blond jokes
- Ethnic jokes
- Gender jokes
- Sexist jokes
- Religious jokes
- Words that hurt feeling or make the child uncomfortable
- for displaying kindness or sympathy
- for expressing sorrow at death of pet of family member
- when injured
- for crying
- when hurt
- for trying something new and being clumsy
Verbal Emotional Abuse
- "I wish you had died and your sibling had lived."
- Parent use hurtful words
- Siblings use hurtful words
- Extended family members use hurtful words
- Neighbors and peer, teacher and clergy use hurtful words
- Stranger uses hurtful words
- What person's actions will hurt the most?
Withhold Emotional Support
- Purposely withholds affection, interaction, play
- Withholds any sign of love or compassion
- Never sticks up for child when being verbally abused
- Parent or guardian indifferent, aloof, detached or cold
- Parent physically home but does not interact with child
- Parent doesn't speak to child
- Child never receives hugs or kisses
- Child never touched, hand held
- Child never hears applause or encouraging words
- Child never held on lap and read a book
- Lack of nurturing environment
- Forbid expression of any human emotions
- Laughter must be muffled or not displayed at all
- Never allowed to cry or have tears
- Forbidden to get angry or show anger
- Crying is forbidden and severely punished
- Told to "Shut up" frequently
- "Give you something to cry about."
Family Emotionally Abuses Child's Friends
- Makes fun of child's playmates
- Makes fun of the same things they say to their child
- Ridicule their best friends parents
- Calls them names
- Puts them down
- Makes comments to their face, and in front of the child
- Comments on their financial status
Outside Home: Neighbors and Peers Call Child Names
- Hear family members verbally abuse child so they join in
- "Your Dad is a druggie, can't hold a job."
- "Your Mom is a worthless bitch and so are you."
- "You all are just poor white (ethnic slur) trash."
- "Your sister is a tramp."
- "Your Mother is a hippo."
- "You are a no good foster care brat no one wants."
Content : 121
Web Links : 3
Content View Hits : 618136
Celebrity Stories Surviving Child Trauma Fans don't think of celebrities leading anything but a charmed life but in reality some have survived...
Alcohol and the Isms that Follow Alcoholism is slow suicide for late-stagers, those hopelessly addicted souls who can't concentrate past...
A Dark Place The first thing that may happen is a growing awareness that things were not right when you were a child. ...